Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Best Friend

It's been over a year since I had to put Bandit down but just wanted to share his story! On April 26, 2009 my Best Friend and Horse Bandit got stuck in a fence and hurt himself pretty bad. We took him to the vet that night and the vet, who's name I will not mention, checked him over barely and said he was fine and it would take about 3 months to heal. Well a week later, Tuesday May 5, 2009 he wouldn't stand or walk on it so me and my dad took him in Wednesday to Dr. Moss and they did X-Rays and came back with some bad news. The cut was down to his coffin bone (not sure if I am spelling that right) and his chances were slim for recovery. They gave us two options: the first was to put him down or second do surgery where they'd go in and clean it out and try and repair as much as possible but his recovery was 5 to 10 percent. I of course couldn't let my best friend go without doing something so I said go for it he's still young and strong!! Plus I couldn't go through life wondering would the surgery have worked if I had put him down.

They did the surgery Friday night and when they got in there they found more bad news. They called Saturday to tell me he had bacteria and infection that had created a hole in his bone that went through his hoof as I understand it. Me and my parents went over there and I of coursed cried and cried and called wonderful Texie and my friend Shaylee asking if there's any way we could get my hair done and do some photos with him before we put him down and they of course were very helpful and we got that done on Sunday. He was as cooperative as he could be and we got some really pretty pictures!!
Monday morning I got ready and me and Shaylee and my parents rode out there to say our last and final goodbyes. Shaylee braided his mane and tail for us so we could keep a little piece of him. Then came the hard part when I had to say my last goodbye. Some people think horses don't have personalities or relate to humans but I sure believe they do!! Bandit and me were two peas in a pod!! He was stubborn and had a mind of his own just like me!! He never liked anyone but a few people and boy if he liked you he'd show it. I told him my last goodbye and told him I loved him and he shook his head up and down as if he agreed!! I will never forget him and our many journeys and trials we had together!! R.I.P. Bandit!! I love you and always will!! You were the greatest horse ever!! June 11, 1999-May 11, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment